Poppy seeds are great oilseeds with fantastic taste, often used for cooking. Because of their nutritional value, there is a number of poppy seeds health benefits to become familiar with in the same time. The seeds are obtained from pods, the dry version of the fruit. However, there is no need to confuse poppy seeds with opium poppy which has certain side effects.
There are several vital vitamins and minerals contained in poppy seeds that let you enjoy the best of the poppy seeds health benefits:
Zinc: there isn’t too much zinc needed by the body, but you need to make sure that your zinc intake is optimal on a daily basis, for fulfilling certain tasks. Zinc plays an important role in structuring proteins and promoting the development and production of new cells. It also significantly influences neurological development and normal growth. Lack of zinc in the body easily leads to the weakening of the immune system.
Iron: has the main role of maintaining oxygen in your whole body, but it also transports more oxygen directly to your muscles when you do physical effort. Your immune system is in need of iron for proper functioning and for building proteins.
Calcium: is the crucial mineral for muscle formation. Adults are in continuous need of calcium because they need to avoid getting osteoporosis. Remember that a broken bone will never get replaced with a new and strong bone. Calcium is vital for a lot of other functions of the body as well, including muscle maintenance, especially the heart muscles.
Phosphorus: just like calcium, helps with the formation of the muscles. Along with calcium, it is crucial to have the necessary amount of phosphorus in your body, for maintaining your bones strong and preventing osteoporosis. Phosphorus is crucial for DNA formation and energy production.
Other Poppy Seeds Health Benefits
There are definitely other poppy seeds health benefits that you would like to become familiar with, such as:
- Some of the chemicals contained in poppy seeds have anti-oxidant properties, but they promote health and prevent certain diseases in the same time.
- Their excellent flavor is because of the healthy fatty acids contained in poppy seeds. However, the seeds are also rich in linoleic acid and oleic acid which plays a significant role in lowering bad cholesterol level, while increasing good cholesterol in the body. It is also scientifically proven that diets rich in monounsaturated fatty acids can easily prevent strokes and coronary artery disease, promoting blood lipid at healthy ranges at the same time.
- Complex B-vitamins are another important part of poppy seeds from which it is worth mentioning folic acid, niacin, riboflavin, pyridoxine, panthotenic acid and thiamin. All of these B-complex vitamins contribute to the proper functioning of our metabolism.
- Dried poppy seeds have opium alkaloids in them, but at only low levels, such as papaverine, codeine, thebaine and morphine. These compounds have the smallest effects on the nervous system in the human body. However, the mentioned compounds are proven to have other beneficial health effects on the human body as well, like painkilling.
- The seeds are also found to be very useful in traditional medicines and numerous pharmacies, when it comes to prepare expectorants or cough mixtures.